The Barossa Cellar
The Barossa Cellar is a not-for-profit entity managed and curated for the region by the Barons of Barossa. Ultimately, the wines donated by Barossa wineries and stored in the Cellar will be available for special tastings and events held in the region and around the world for a wide audience of key decision makers and influencers.
The charter of The Barossa Cellar is to:
- Amass a repository of the great wines of the Barossa that are cellared to their peak, showing the ageing potential of our wines;
- Add another platform for the collective promotion of Barossa wine;
- Demonstrate the unity of the Barossa Wine Community; and
- Leverage the existence of the Cellar for long-term brand Barossa messaging.
We know of only a few examples of a regional wine cellar anywhere in the world but do not believe that such a cellar exists anywhere else in Australia.
Input on the collection and ultimate usage of these wines from regional organisations such as the Barossa Grape and Wine Association (BGWA) and from individuals is not only welcome but imperative to keeping the Cellar current and relevant.
The Barossa Cellar facts:
- The wines will be cellared until they are at least 10 years of age.
- Advice will be taken from the maker on the progression of the wines and optimum opening time.
- The Cellar will be secure, catalogued and audited, with full transparency.
- Stock will be available at any time for contributors to view.
The first call went out to winemakers in 2011, asking for donations of their most special wines and the response was overwhelming; the Barossa winemaking community found the concept as exciting as we did and were happy to contribute. That initial collection is comprised of over 1400 bottles and 42 large format bottles.
Inaugural contributors to the cellar:
- St Hallett Wines
- Grant Burge Wines
- Elderton Wines
- Glaetzer Wines Pty Ltd
- Rockford Wines
- Charles Melton Wines
- Kalleske Wines
- Greenock Creek Wines
- God's Hill Wines
- Dutschke Wines
- Orlando Wines
- Barossa Old Vine Company
- Langmeil Winery
- Yelland and Papps
- Torbreck Vintners
- Peter Lehmann Wines